By "Layout cards", we mean cards that have the type "Layout". Since the set of "Layout cards" is narrower than the set of "all cards", the second rule overrides the first, and only Administrators are permitted to edit Layout cards.
NOTE: This documentation is focused on card rules, meaning rules that are set in card content. Software developers can also add code rules via mods.
navigating to rules
The first part of working with rules is knowing how to access them . You can navigate to a rule from...
- Any card to which the rule applies. For example, from the menus of the roadmap card, if you go to advanced > rules, you'll see all the rules that apply to roadmap.
- The rule's Set. Every Set is represented by a card, like *all, *star, Recipe+*type, or roadmap+*self. The set card shows all the rules that apply to that Set.
- The rule's Setting. Similarly, every setting has its own card, like *create, *structure, or *layout. The setting card shows all the diffferent rules for that setting.
- Related "set anchor" cards. From the card menu on "Recipe", you can navigate to advanced > rules > All "Recipe" cards or advanced > rules > All "+Recipe" cards in order to work with all the rules for those sets.
- The navbox. Of course, every rule has its own card, so if you know its name, you can navigate directly to the rule by name in the navbox or straight from your browser bar.
If you navigate to rules via the menu (#1 above), you will see a set of rules that looks something like the following:
view (options) not supported for roadmap
You can click on any setting (create, read, update, etc) to open that setting. If you have update permission on the rule (which most wagn.org users don't), you will go straight to an edit view that will prompt you to edit the content of the rule and to choose the set to which it applies.
For example, the default permission for who can read cards is set with this permission rule:
This follows the Set+Setting=Rule pattern as follows:
- *all is the Set of all cards. (The types of *all is "Set")
- *read is the Setting that determines who can read cards in the set (The types of *read is "Setting")
- *all+*read is the rules that determines who can read any card on a Wagn.
- You can click directly on advanced as a shortcut for advanced > rules. (Menu items with submenus typically go directly to the first item in the submenu.)
The "Example" section should be less concerned with explaining how rules are named and more concerned with helping users understand how to interact with them. Most beginning Wagneers should not have to learn about how rules are named. (but that should be explained at the bottom of the How To section)