I needed to spin up a new wiki recently for a specific purpose and settled on wagn as something that looked interesting -- and, since it's a rails app, something I can hack at if it turns out to be not quite what I want.


The thing that's interesting about wagn, to me, is the conceptual integrity of making everything a card -- I'm not sure that the essential simplicity of that notion is currently expressed in the most accessible way it might be (in terms of becoming proficient as quickly as possible after first being exposed to the system), but that is perhaps a documentation issue rather than a code one.


Puma and Nginx production stack 


Hi Brett,


I'd definitely agree with your assessment of Wagn's discoverability; it sucks. But I think we're going to make major strides in the next few releases. We've finally finished a bunch of low-level harmonization that will make it much easier to make progress on that front.


Definitely interested to hear how your deployment goes. I personally prefer postgresql, too, but we shifted to focusing more on mysql when we started supporting Cloudstore hosting. I don't have much experience with nginx / puma / unicorn but would be grateful to you if you shared what you learn in your experiments, even (especially?) if there are problems.


As for your revision issue, that's not something I've seen. What kind of caching are you using?

--Ethan McCutchen.....2013-05-21 02:39:41 +0000

caching -- initially I used the filesystem store, but after the first time I noticed the behavior I switched to dalli_store. I still have noticed that sometimes when I edit a card several times in a short amount of time, an old version of the card shows up until I clear the cache; but that hasn't happened often enough to get a handle on what's going on (and it hasn't happened at a time when it was convenient to look at the log file and see if I can figure out what's up).

--Brett Neumeier.....2013-05-22 16:12:15 +0000

The problem has not recurred since I upgraded from the first version I set up (1.11.1 or 1.11.2, I don't recall which) to 1.11.3. I also switched from unicorn to puma at the same time... so, not very good science, I don't know what change eliminated the problem, but from a pragmatic perspective the problem is gone and I'm not all that concerned about exactly why. I notice that now the log file shows a lot of cache read and write activity, which it didn't do originally -- perhaps the original issue was a cache coherency heisenbug that is corrected by adding the logging activity? But I don't really have the energy to try to track that down.


Added documentation on a simple nginx+puma setup elsewhere, with the hope that someone will find it interesting. Later on I'll add notes on how I have my actual server set up -- I wanted to run multiple distinct wagns, with a single copy of wagn powering them all so that a change in one place becomes manifest in all the wagns after the next restart, so that's what I have in place. And also experimentation and performance testing for different ruby versions: MRI, rubinius, jruby.

--Brett Neumeier.....2013-06-11 13:56:36 +0000

Well, maybe not a well controlled experiment, but interesting and valid data nonetheless. Thanks.

--Gerry Gleason.....2013-06-11 14:59:32 +0000

curse you, heisenburg :) thanks for all this, Brett!

--Ethan McCutchen.....2013-06-11 18:57:36 +0000