I'm getting very tempted to change our email handling to map better to our emerging action framework. I've been thinking we should:
- add card event Setting. We get rid of *send and add something like *on create, *on update, and *on delete
- add an Email template cardtype, which could be a value (or values) of the above. Essentially the same structure as the '+email config' cards (by convention) now. (aside - this has parallels to the *layout patterns -- I think that should be a cardtype too). Note that we'll need to give a good bit of thought to nomenclature -- there are lots of "email" cards out there already.
Other improvements needed:
- add time event Setting, like *hourly, *daily, *monthly (not sure how much these complicate installation, but I'm guessing f'in with cron jobs can get icky. probably best to wait and make this a non-core module.
- add other "action" cardtypes. Not sure exactly how to organize them, but I imagine we'd want to be able to trigger a wide range of HTTP calls, and maybe some calls to other protocols? We can gather ideas here if necessary, but I mainly mention it to point out the significance of the Email cardtype (otherwise, add a preview option
- (module) integration with bulk mail service. Impressed with mailchimp.com. Haven't used but solid api / docs.
- more explicit permission granting. Pretty sure this is needed to make sure that watcher notifications don't let people use watching to see things they shouldn't. (can explain later. consider this a flag)
- add some indication of outcome of flexmail attempt
- If a card is in a set that triggers email, add a menu item under advanced that indicates this, and clicking on it goes to the relevant email setup card.
(this may evolve into blueprint?)
much of this will help address convert system emails to flexmail system
--Ethan McCutchen.....Wed Mar 09 11:23:00 -0800 2011
note, the upgrade path is pretty straightforward. We basically just have to change *send to '*on create' and change the type of all its values to Email (or whatever it ends up being named)
--Ethan McCutchen.....Wed Mar 09 11:59:22 -0800 2011
note, it may also be nice to be able to use inclusions in email fields, but that will require more nuanced rendering -- we can't currently render inclusions without also converting emails into mailto links, which would break things.
--Ethan McCutchen.....Wed Mar 09 12:16:53 -0800 2011
Ethan noted elsewhere that in addition to "*on create" we'll want "*on update" and "*on delete" (and possibly *on read). Once we do drafts we'll want *on publish as well.
changing this to a ticket, since so much of it has been implemented, but not everything on this will necessarily go into Wagn 1.14.